There are lots of encryption software program for Home windows 11 that permits you to safeguard volumes and drives. However what if you wish to password defend recordsdata and folders in Home windows 11 with iron-clad encryption? Properly, on this article, we convey you six simple strategies to guard your delicate recordsdata, paperwork, and folders with a customized password. So with none delay, let’s go forward and learn to add password safety to recordsdata and folders in Home windows 11.
Password Shield Information and Folders in Home windows 11 (2022)
We now have included six other ways to password-protect recordsdata and folders in Home windows 11. You’ll be able to password-protect paperwork like Phrase, PowerPoint, and PDF as properly. Increase the desk beneath and discover all of the options proper right here.
Password Shield Information and Folders in Home windows 11 with 7-Zip
You might be acquainted with 7-Zip as the most effective WinZIP and WinRAR options, nevertheless, it’s far more than that. You need to use 7-Zip to password-protect recordsdata and folders in Home windows 11. Not simply that. The instrument additionally helps state-of-the-art AES-256 bit encryption to safe the recordsdata and folders in Home windows 11 so nobody can break the password and entry your recordsdata. The one con is that encrypted recordsdata are seen to all customers, which suggests anybody can delete them.
However, even in the event you switch the encrypted file to a different laptop and use one other archiving software program like WinRAR to open the file, you’ll nonetheless must enter the password to decrypt it. Principally, the encryption is cross-compatible with different software program and platforms as properly. Having mentioned that, let’s undergo the steps.
1. First, go forward and obtain 7-Zip from right here. It’s a free and open-source app and is persistently ranked among the many finest Home windows 11 apps. After downloading it, set up this system.
2. Subsequent, to password-protect a file or folder in Home windows 11, right-click on it and choose “Present extra choices” from the context menu. For instance, right here I’m selecting a folder.
3. After that, transfer to “7-Zip” and click on on “Add to archive“.
4. A brand new window will open up. Click on on the drop-down menu subsequent to “Compression stage” and select “Retailer“. On the precise facet, underneath the “Encryption” part, enter the password to safe the file or folder. You may also allow “Delete recordsdata after compression” in case you need to take away the common file after encryption. Lastly, click on on “OK”.
5. Immediately, a file with
.7z extension shall be created in the identical folder. This explicit file is password-protected and nobody can entry the content material inside the file. Should you attempt to open the file, it’s going to ask for the password to decrypt it. Even in the event you open it utilizing one other archiving program on one other laptop or platform, you’ll nonetheless require the password to open it.
6. You may also disguise it by right-clicking on the file and selecting “Properties“.
7. Right here, allow the “Hidden” checkbox, and you might be accomplished.
8. To point out hidden recordsdata in Home windows 11, click on on “View” within the high menu bar and choose Present -> Hidden objects. That’s it.
Password Shield Information and Folders in Home windows 11 with OneDrive
Should you want to password-protect recordsdata and folders each domestically and on the cloud, I’d strongly advocate utilizing OneDrive. It helps a helpful characteristic referred to as “Private Vault”, the place you may retailer your essential recordsdata, folders, and paperwork. Even in the event you don’t have a Microsoft 365 subscription, you continue to get the Private Vault characteristic however it’s restricted to solely 3 recordsdata. For paying customers, there aren’t any limitations.
What I like about OneDrive’s Private Vault is that everytime you attempt to entry it, you’ll need to enter a 2FA code, which is shipped to your e-mail ID. Solely after coming into the code, you may entry the recordsdata inside Private Vault. Not simply that, it additionally makes use of Bitlocker to encrypt the recordsdata saved underneath Private Vault and they’re by no means cached. And after 20 minutes of inactivity, Private Vault is routinely locked. All in all, OneDrive’s Private Vault is a superb characteristic to retailer delicate recordsdata and folders in Home windows 11 with a 2FA code.
1. OneDrive is usually put in on Home windows 11 by default, however in the event you don’t have it, you may obtain and set up it from right here.
2. Subsequent, transfer to the Taskbar and open OneDrive from the system tray. Right here, click on on the “settings” icon and select “Unlock Private Vault“.
3. Now, click on on “Subsequent” and arrange Private Vault inside your OneDrive folder.
4. After it’s accomplished, open OneDrive out of your consumer profile, and you will discover “Private Vault” right here. Open it.
5. Now, enter the two-factor authentication (2FA) code despatched to your e-mail account, and you’ll be allowed to entry the Vault.
6. Right here, you may retailer all of your delicate recordsdata, paperwork, and folders.
7. After 20 minutes of inactivity, the Vault shall be locked routinely. You may also right-click on it within the OneDrive folder and go to Present extra choices -> Lock Private Vault. So that is how one can password-protect recordsdata and folders in Home windows 11 utilizing OneDrive.
Password Shield Microsoft Workplace Paperwork in Home windows 11
Should you want to password-protect your Workplace Phrase paperwork, PowerPoint displays, and Excel sheets in Home windows 11, you don’t want to put in a third-party utility. The safety characteristic is constructed proper into Microsoft Workplace, and you may set a password for every doc with ease. Right here is how one can go about it.
1. Open the Workplace doc in your Home windows 11 PC and click on on “File” on the high menu bar.
2. Subsequent, transfer to “Information” and click on on “Shield Doc“. Right here, select “Encrypt with Password”.
3. Subsequent, enter the password and click on on “OK”. Be aware that – in the event you neglect the password, you may’t entry the Workplace doc by every other means. So write down the password someplace protected for later use.
4. Now, whenever you open the Workplace doc, you’ll have to enter the password. The password safety works even on different platforms.
Learn how to Password Shield PDF Information in Home windows 11
You may also password-protect your PDF recordsdata in Home windows 11 utilizing Smallpdf, which is among the finest PDF editors we listed in our roundup lately. This app permits you to shortly encrypt your PDF recordsdata with a password, and right here’s the way it works:
1. Obtain Smallpdf from the hyperlink right here and set up it in your Home windows 11 PC.
2. Subsequent, select “Shield PDF” from the left menu.
3. After that, add your PDF file and enter the password within the top-right nook. Subsequent, click on on “Add password” and a protected PDF file shall be saved in the identical folder.
4. Now, open the PDF file, and it’ll ask you to enter the password. That is how one can password-protect PDF recordsdata in Home windows 11.
Password Shield Drives in Home windows 11 with BitLocker Encryption
Microsoft gives Bitlocker encryption for drives on some editions of Home windows 11, together with Home windows 11 Professional, Enterprise, and Training. It’s a good safety characteristic meant to stop information theft by restoration in case your laptop computer or arduous drive will get stolen. Since your drives shall be encrypted with a password, nobody can entry information from any setting. Right here is how one can password defend drives in Home windows 11 with BitLocker encryption.
1. Press the Home windows key and kind “bitlocker”within the search bar. Now, open “Handle BitLocker“. This can take you to the Management Panel in Home windows 11.
2. Subsequent, click on on “Activate BitLocker” underneath the “C” drive. You may also do that for different drives, as soon as the method is accomplished for the C drive.
3. It would ask you to avoid wasting the restoration key. I normally go along with my Microsoft account, however it can save you it to a file or print the restoration key as properly. Be aware that, in case something goes fallacious, solely the restoration key will can help you entry the pc, so hold it someplace protected. After that, hold every little thing as default and click on on “Subsequent“.
4. Lastly, restart your laptop, and Home windows 11 will begin encrypting the C drive. As soon as the method is full, nobody can entry the C drive with out having the password or encryption key. I counsel you comply with the identical step for different drives as properly.
5. To disable BitLocker encryption, open the Management Panel once more and click on on “Flip off BitLocker“.
Password Shield Information and Folders From Different Customers on Similar PC
In case you have a number of customers in your PC and need to prohibit entry of some recordsdata and folders from different customers, you are able to do so with a built-in Encryption possibility in Home windows 11. Each time one other consumer would attempt to entry the file or folder, Home windows 11 will ask the consumer to enter the password of that individual consumer account. Then solely, the recordsdata shall be decrypted. Right here is how one can password-protect recordsdata and folders in Home windows 11 from different customers.
1. Proper-click on any file or folder and select “Properties“.
2. Right here, click on on “Superior“.
3. Subsequent, allow the “Encrypt contents to safe information” checkbox and click on on “OK”.
4. After that, click on on “Apply” and select “Encrypt the file solely“. Subsequent, click on on “OK”.
5. A lock signal will seem on the file, which signifies that it’s encrypted and may’t be accessed from one other consumer account. You’ll be able to repeat this course of for as many recordsdata and folders as you need.
6. To take away encryption, right-click on the file or folder and choose Present extra choices -> File possession -> Private.
Safe Your Information and Folders on Home windows 11 With a Password
So that is how one can defend recordsdata, folders, and drives in Home windows 11 with a password or a 2FA code. Whereas there are a number of options on the market, I’d have liked it if Microsoft provided a easy file and folder encryption characteristic with help for customized passwords constructed into the OS. It will have made issues a lot simpler. Anyway, that’s all from us. If you wish to enhance your privateness on Home windows 11, comply with our linked information. And to have the perfect expertise on Home windows 11, head over to our article on the perfect Home windows 11 settings it’s best to change proper now. Lastly, in case you have any questions, tell us within the remark part beneath.