iOS and macOS are tightly built-in to work in sync with one another. Therefore, you possibly can seamlessly change from iPhone to Mac or vice-versa to hold out your duties like note-taking, file administration, messaging, and extra with none problem. Each from a productiveness and comfort perspective, this seamless expertise is superior. However what if in case you have determined to chop down this deep integration whether or not for privateness or any private causes? Fear not, there are a number of methods to disconnect iPhone from Mac to make sure your secrets and techniques by no means spiral from one machine to a different. So, listed here are 12 methods to disconnect iPhone from Mac.
Disconnect Your iPhone and Mac: 12 Totally different Methods (2022)
Other than providing a one-click disconnecting possibility, Apple gives a number of methods to dam your Mac from connecting or syncing along with your iPhone. Thus, you’ve got the flexibleness to decide on the choice that may meet your wants higher. Do word that whereas iPhone is our focus, most of those methods apply to iPad as properly.
1. Take away Your Mac from Apple ID
If you’re looking out for a one-stop resolution to disconnect your iPhone out of your Mac, take away your Mac out of your Apple ID. As long as each the units are paired with the identical Apple ID, they may stay in sync.
Take away Your Mac from Apple ID
- In your iPhone or iPad, head over to the Settings app -> your profile.
- Now, faucet your Mac. Now, faucet Take away from Account and ensure.
Take away Your iPhone from Apple ID
In your Mac, navigate to System Preferences app -> Apple ID.
- Now, choose your iPhone within the sidebar and hit Take away from Account.
2. Unpair Your Mac/iPhone Through Bluetooth
Bluetooth performs a key function in serving to Continuity work seamlessly between your units like iPhone and Mac. Subsequently, turning off Bluetooth can allow you to immediately stop your units from being synced with one another and disconnect your iPhone from Mac.
Flip Off Bluetooth on Your iPhone/iPad
- In your iPhone, navigate to the Settings app -> Bluetooth after which flip off the toggle. In case your Mac seems below the My Units part, faucet the information “i” button subsequent to it and hit Overlook This Machine.
Flip Off Bluetooth on Mac
- Click on on the Bluetooth menu on the upper-right nook of the display after which flip off the toggle for Bluetooth.
Notice: Disabling Bluetooth may even stop your AirPods, Bluetooth equipment, and your Apple Watch from connecting and syncing along with your iPhone.
3. Disable Handoff
With Handoff, you can begin one thing on one Apple machine and choose it up on different units linked with the identical iCloud account. If you happen to now not wish to hand off out of your iPhone to Mac or vice-versa, ensure that to disable it.
Flip Off Handoff on iPhone
- Open the Settings app in your iPhone and choose Basic.
- Now, faucet AirPlay & Handoff. Then, flip off the toggle for Handoff.
Flip Off Handoff on Mac
- Click on the Apple menu on the upper-right nook of the display and select System Preferences.
- Then, click on the Basic desire pane.
- Now, verify the field to the left of Permit Handoff between Mac and your iCloud units.
4. Disconnect Your iPhone from Finder
While you join your iPhone to your Mac utilizing a USB cable, your iPhone seems within the Finder. Therefore, simply eradicating the USB cable can allow you to disconnect your iOS machine. Understand that your iPhone should still seem in Finder when you had beforehand set your Mac to detect your machine when on Wi-Fi.
- Navigate to Finder and click on in your iPhone within the sidebar.
- Beneath the Choices part, uncheck the field to the left of Present This iPhone when on Wi-Fi.
5. Disconnect Your Mac from Your iPhone’s Private Hotspot
If in case you have ever used your iPhone’s private hotspot in your Mac, your Mac will robotically connect with the non-public hotspot of your iPhone or ask you to affix in at any time when the Mac detects it. However hassle not, you possibly can flip off “Ask to affix in” to cease your Mac from utilizing your iPhone’s private hotspot.
Cease Your Mac from Routinely Becoming a member of Your iPhone’s Private Hotspot
- Click on on the Wi-Fi menu on the upper-right nook of the display and select Community Preferences within the menu.
- Now, uncheck the field to the left of Ask to affix Private Hotspots.
- Alternately, open System Preferences -> Community -> Wi-Fi after which deselect Ask to affix Private Hotspots.
Disable Private Hotspot on Your iPhone
- Head over to the Settings app in your iPhone. After that, select Private Hotspot after which flip off the toggle subsequent to Permit Others to Be part of.
6. Disable iCloud Syncing
If you happen to’re attempting to cease your content material reminiscent of reminders, calendar occasions, and messages from syncing between your units, you possibly can disable iCloud sync.
Handle iCloud Sync on Mac
- Click on the Apple menu on the upper-left nook of the display and choose System Preferences.
- Subsequent, choose iCloud within the sidebar after which uncheck the apps/providers which you now not wish to sync with iCloud.
Handle iCloud Syncing on iPhone
- Head into the Settings app in your iPhone -> your profile and select iCloud.
- Now, flip off the toggles for every app/service which you don’t want to sync with iCloud anymore.
7. Disable AirDrop
When AirDrop is enabled, your iPhone and Mac can detect one another for file-sharing. You possibly can utterly disable AirDrop to stop these units from detecting one another.
Flip Off AirDrop on Mac
- Open Finder in your Mac. Now, click on the Go menu on the prime and select AirDrop within the menu. If in case you have included AirDrop in Finder’s Favorites, merely click on on it to entry the desire.
- Now, click on the drop-down menu subsequent to Permit me to be found by and select No One.
Flip Off AirDrop on iPhone and iPad
- Swipe down from the top-right or swipe up from the underside to convey up the management middle after which contact and maintain the four-icon platter (the place airplane mode is situated).
- Now, faucet the AirDrop icon and select Receiving Off within the menu.
- Alternately, go to the Settings app in your iPhone –> Basic -> AirDrop and select Off.
8. Disallow Calls on Different Units
iOS enables you to use your iPhone mobile account to make and obtain calls on different units together with your Mac signed in to your iCloud account when they’re close by and on Wi-Fi. However you possibly can disallow calls on different Apple units.
- Open the Settings app in your iPhone and select Cellphone.
- Now, faucet Calls on Different Units after which flip off the toggle for Permit Calls on Different Units.
9. Flip Off Textual content Message Forwarding
Textual content Message Forwarding permits you to robotically ship SMS/MMS texts acquired on an iPhone to your different units together with iPad, iPod contact, or Mac that are related with the identical iCloud account. If you happen to don’t need your messages to journey to your Mac, disable Textual content Message Forwarding.
Disable Textual content Message Forwarding On iPhone
- Go to the Settings app in your iPhone and select Messages.
- Now, scroll down and faucet Textual content Message Forwarding. After that, select which units can ship and obtain textual content messages out of your iPhone.
- If you happen to want to utterly cease receiving messages out of your Apple ID, faucet Ship & Obtain after which deselect your Apple ID.
Forestall Your Mac from Receiving Messages from Apple ID
- Launch the Messages app in your Mac. Then, click on the Messages menu within the upper-left nook of the display and select Preferences.
- Now, be sure that the iMessage tab is chosen after which hit Signal Out.
10. Cease Your iPhone Notes From Syncing With Mac
iCloud Drive is chosen because the default account for Notes to make sure your notes are in a position to sync throughout Apple units you personal. Nevertheless, you possibly can select to avoid wasting notes regionally in your iPhone or iPad.
- Launch the Settings app in your iPhone. Now, select Notes after which ensure that the toggle for On My “iPhone/iPad Account is enabled.
- After that, faucet Default Account and be sure that On My iPhone/iPad is chosen.
11. Disable iCloud Drive within the Information app and Finder
Though the Apple Information app helps a number of cloud storage providers together with Google Drive and Dropbox, iCloud Drive is ready because the default possibility. If you wish to utterly disconnect your iOS machine out of your Mac, be sure you both retailer recordsdata regionally in your machine or choose different cloud storage providers. Identical to iOS, macOS additionally enables you to disable iCloud in Finder and select to retailer recordsdata in different areas.
Disable iCloud Drive within the Information App
- Open the Apple Information app in your iPhone or iPad -> the Browse tab on the backside of the display. Now, faucet on the triple-dot icon on the top-right and select Edit.
- Subsequent, flip off the toggle for iCloud Drive after which ensure that to faucet Executed to verify.
Disable iCloud Drive in Mac’s Finder
- On Mac: Open Finder after which click on on the Finder menu on the prime left nook of the display and select Preferences.
- After that, uncheck the field to the left of iCloud Drive.
12. Limit Safari Downloads on iPhone Solely
Safari’s downloads are robotically saved in iCloud Drive however you’ve the liberty to vary the downloads location. Relying in your wants, it can save you your downloads regionally or retailer them in your required cloud service.
- To try this, launch the Settings app in your iPhone/iPad. Now, choose Safari after which faucet Downloads.
- Subsequent, choose On My iPhone/iPad to maintain all your downloads in your machine. If you wish to retailer your downloads in different areas, faucet Different after which select the specified location.
Disconnect Your iPhone or iPad from Mac With Ease
In order that’s how one can disconnect your iPhone and Mac. Whereas I personally love utilizing the built-in ecosystem options that my MacBook and iPhone provide to me, when you’re not curious about such options and also you’d identical to to make use of your units individually, you are able to do that fairly simply as we’ve defined on this information. So, do you want Apple’s options like Continuity and Handoff, or are you disconnecting your Mac and iPhone? Tell us within the feedback.